Steve Aoki’s neon future: review

Steve Aoki prepares to cake, or throw a sheet cake, at an audience member during his show at Hakkasan nightclub inside the MGM Grand Hotel & Casino, June 14, 2014 in Las Vegas.

Recall a time when you were energyless, limbs limp, unable to control any movement, and your face stuck in a blank stare. Now imagine getting shot with a sudden surge of energy that breaks your laziness and electrifies every inch of your body. Your body instantly has an unconscious urge to bob and pulse as if mimicking the rhythm of an internal metronome. Whether it creates an instantaneous rush of happiness or an explosive sense of power, the experience serves as an awakening, which is exactly what Steve Aoki’s new album, “Neon Future I,” creates.

Revealing only the first half of Aoki’s newest tracks, “Neon Future I” features collaborations with a variety of artists including rapper Waka Flocka Flame, pop punk sensation Fall Out Boy, dubstep DJ Flux Pavilion, hit producer Will.i.am, and many more. Unlike typical Electronic Dance Music (EDM) artists, Aoki aims to incorporate numerous genres to reflect his interests in all types of music.

The album, released just this morning, has already reached the #14 spot on iTunes and is still climbing the list.

EDM fans may already be familiar with the thundering bass of the track “Delirious” featuring Kid Ink. The track was originally titled “Boneless” and had no vocals, but Aoki teamed up with Kid Ink to recreate the track with carefree, party-esque lyrics. Although many tend to prefer what they are familiar with, but the addition of lyrics make the song even more enjoyable and easier to sing along to.

Almost every track forces the listener to move some part of their body to the beat. Tracks like “Rage the Night Away” and “Free the Madness” have listeners building up energy, ready and wanting to explode and release that energy by jumping around or dancing uncontrollably to the beat. As many EDM fans will agree, the bass drops are the absolute best part, hitting the listener with an indescribable intensity. However, these two songs seem a bit too repetitive and replay the same buildup and bass drops over and over again, which can make them drag on.

One let down of the album is that some of the tracks are not what fans would expect. “Transcendence” and “Beyond Boundaries” are out of place compared to rest of the songs. They are short and seem just like random background noise. They are probably supposed to serve as an introduction and conclusion to the album, but it just serves as clutter and songs to skip over.

Overall, Aoki’s album is excellent and perfect for anyone wanting to add life to a party or just go all out and dance by themselves at home. For the most part, each track will leave your head bobbing, even after it finishes, and craving the second half of the album, “Neon Future II” which is set to be released in 2015.