NHS gets in the spirit of giving

The biting cold on the evening of Monday Dec. 22  was nothing compared to the warm, festive spirit that filled the air in the Huntley Culver’s on Route 47. Blue and Silver decorations were strung up all around the store, Christmas music was playing, and families and friends were enjoying a simple evening out.

But this evening was special. Huntley High School’s National Honor Society was hosting a charity event for the McHenry County PADS Homeless Shelter. Culver’s agreed to donate proceeds in-store and through the drive-thru that evening to the shelter. Huntley students, teachers, parents, and other community members all came out to participate in the event.

The evening consisted of two parts, from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. NHS hosted family hour, featuring kid-friendly activities and an NHS student-ensemble choir. The evening also featured a performance by a student band, If the Mood Strikes. From 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., the Huntley thespians contributed their acting skills to a “sassy hour”. Students played waiters and waitress based on the style of the popular Chicago restaurant Ed Debevic’s.

Jasmine Dhillon, president of NHS organized the whole evening. The night was an effort to raise money for an upcoming competition in May, hosted by the local PADS shelter. The contest is between several schools to see who can raise the most for the shelter, and NHS has participated last year as well.

“NHS is all about giving back to our community,” said Dhillon. “It’s awesome.”

NHS is a student leadership program that participates in volunteer projects throughout the school year. They will continue to participate in and host other charity events in the community.

It was really pleasant to see such large community participation in such an important event. In the spirit of the holidays, it is nice to come together and do something kind for those who need it most. It is important to keep in mind that in these times of poverty, it is necessary to think of what can be done for others, not just one self.