Huntley falls to Rockford Guilford, ending run for back-to-back regional titles

The Huntley High School boys soccer team lost to Rockford-Guilford in the regional final 1-0. (courtesy of @huntleysoccer)

The Huntley varsity boys soccer team lost to Rockford-Guilford on Saturday 1-0, ending their run for a back-to-back regional title.

The team went into regionals with a 14-5-1 regular season record, and was also coming off a late 5-4 win in overtime against conference rival McHenry.

In the first regional game, Huntley beat Rockford-Auburn 1-0 thanks to a first half goal by Diego Cazares.

The team took that win and used it as motivation to win another regional title, and go back home and play at sectionals on their home turf.

Huntley let in an early goal in the first half of the regional final, but rebounded back and tested the Guilford goalkeeper as much as they could. But they couldn’t find the back of the net.

Huntley owned the second half offensively again, but they couldn’t find a way to score, eventually getting shut out 1-0.

Even though Huntley was eliminated from the playoffs, head coach Kris Grabner was proud of his team and what they accomplished over the season.

“This was a special group and I worked with most of them since they were six,” said Grabner. “I’m especially proud of them winning the Huntley Invite and also tying for first in conference.”

The Huntley boys soccer team celebrating after winning the 2015 Huntley Invite. (courtesy of @huntleysoccer)

The loss in regionals will still be tough on the team, especially since there are 11 seniors on the team, including captains Michael Zembrzuski, Kyle Carberry, and Jason Zobott.

“I will really miss playing with all my teammates,” said senior Irwin Bhathal. “I had a great time with my teammates and we all had this great chemistry when we would play and we would always connect with each other.”

For the remaining varsity players, this loss will make them even more hungry to capture the regional title for next year.

“I really want to win regionals next year, and that is my top priority for next season,” said junior forward Alan Barrientos.