286722023084101

Teachers Coddle Students

Everyone has heard from their friends that this or that teacher “won’t let them fail.” With curved tests and grades, easy assignments with easy grades, and making the classroom an easygoing environment, school is becoming increasing hard to fail.

Though not all teachers are easygoing, many teachers, particularly of regular classes, make it easy on students.

But don’t students need a kick in the butt every now and then?

“It’s true, some teachers do make it hard to fail,” says Spanish teacher Kate Feinstein.

Many teachers are inclined to be too nice when giving feedback and grades, particularly in core and regular classes.

And when it comes to assignments, teachers give students who did not complete their homework on time an opportunity during school hours to finish so that they do not fail the assignment or simply take it as a participation grade.

Participation grades are a total waste of students’ assignments. If a student just “Christmas trees” an assignment, what are they learning? It is clear that the slacker students are using even homework to get by in school.

So even though some teachers coddle their students and make sure they do not fail, this will only turn them into spineless people in college and in the real world. Maybe high school is not kicking their butts, but the real world certainly will.