Math Team competes at Hampshire in the Fox Valley Conference

Coaches Brian Thornley and Laura Jenkins with the Math Team. (Photo courtesy of Jenkins ).

On Jan. 19, the Huntley High School Math Team competed in the Fox Valley Conference at Hampshire High School.

They took third overall against six other teams including, Hampshire, Crystal Lake South, Crystal Lake Central, Prairie Ridge, Cary Grove, and Jacobs.

This was a successful night for the Math Team and an important win being that it was one of the last meets before heading to regionals.

“Overall we did really well placing third, and this is at conference so it’s a kind of a big deal for us,” sophomore Pranav Yandamuri said.

Some individual standouts at this particular tournament include Nathan Kusiolek who achieved second place in Algebra 1, and sophomore Pranav Yandamuri who placed fourth in Geometry.

In Pre-Calculus, senior Jacob Wat placed second, with senior Caitlyn Murray following close behind taking fifth.

[metaslider id=18343]

As a team, they were able to place first overall in Pre-Calculus, and second in Algebra 1 and Geometry.

In an event called Candy Bar, which is a whole team effort to solve a mix of math problems from all of the events, Huntley placed second.

Their Fresh/Soph 8 Person Team made up of freshmen Ricardo Herrera, Shruti Suresh, Ian Faber, Nathan Kusiolek, and sophomores Harini Marchadi, Nicolas Reese, George Hochwarter, and Deepa Dhillon also performed very well, placing third in this tournament.

Their Fresh/Soph 2 person team made up of sophomore Brody Lauer, and freshman Kayla Yakaminsky placed second as well.

Their strengths really do lie in their ability to work as a team, and efficiently complete the tasks they are given.

“Everyone on Math Team is super nice, and super cooperative,” Reese said. “People are always willing to help you run through problems you didn’t get on the tests.”

After a very successful previous year, everyone on the team has a common goal of living up to the success of the previous year of reaching state. Although they had lost a lot of talented seniors this year, the remaining students are holding the team up strong.

“The season has been going really well,” Lauer said. “We have a really good freshman team this year and we’ve made a lot of improvement since our last meet.”

The Huntley Math Team is making it’s way to be recognized as they work harder towards more ambitious goals.

“We as a team are really good this year,” said Yandamuri. “There’s definitely been a lot more effort put in by both the teachers that do math team and the students involved as well because we’re all pushing for that success.”