286722023084101

District 158 Board of Education Meeting Highlights Student Achivements

Huntley High School students stand with District 158 board members after the meeting (Courtesy of @dist158).

Huntley school district 158 held a board meeting on April 20, 2017. The Board of Education meeting took place as usual, recognizing students, donation discussions, and action plans.

Six students were recognized from the Principal advisory committee at Huntley high school. These students ranged from sophomores to seniors. The committee said the pledge and then was questioned about their roles as student leaders at Huntley.

“Our jobs on this committee are so important because it gives us an opportunity to change something if it bothers us at our school because of that direct connection with Dr. Rowe,” said senior Maddy Moffet.

The recent racist pamphlet that took place at Huntley high school was also brought up in conversation.

“Being a minority student in the high school sometimes is seen as more difficult, but during this hard time at Huntley this committee gave myself and the other members of the committee an outlet to talking and discussing the problem with the administration,” said junior Bry Walker.

This discussion continued for 20 minutes, than the board gave recognition to a group of elementary students who were winners of the Illinois Language and Literacy Council’s 43rd Annual Young Authors Contest. These students included  Cara Murphy, Alexia Manuel, Faith Rasmussen, Isabella Wasniewski, Victoria Hristov,  Trent Vanyzendoorn, Peyton Bellenie, Kate Rogala, Ellie Armstrong. The students’ work will attend State on May 20.

The board also gave recognition to two students from Marlowe, Michael Skoupas and Alex Pena who placed in their weight class at the IESA Wrestling State Tournament.

The meeting continued as the board brought attention to recent donations made the the school district. These donations consisted of a new Buddy Bench at Chesak Elementary School  from Girl Scout troup #1009.

Along with Cash award from Steve Rochell to HHS in honor of the Northwest Herald Player of the Year Award.

The next district Board of Education meeting will take place on Thursday April 27.

[polldaddy poll=9731024]