Speech Team Suits Up for a New Season

Freshmen Sarah Emmel, Kyra Monterroso, and Iniya Murugasamy cheer on their fellow teammates (J. Gordus)

A growing buzz fills the cafeteria as students from several different schools file in. People clicking pens hunched over filling out ballots. Individuals wearing suits and ties all looking the same, yet all so different. Some people sit and talk, some people walk around the room, others standing facing walls speaking to themselves.

Anyone unfamiliar with this scene would become puzzled at the sight, but all they are seeing are speech members practicing their pieces one last time before the first speech tournament of the season begins.

Huntley High School’s Speech Team hosted the Huntley Fall Fest Tournament on Oct. 28. With 45 of its own entries.

Freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors from multiple different schools were competing against one another in different events. “It started out shaky, but that’s how any first tournament goes,” junior Christina Giorgi said.

Each individual had to perform their piece three times and was scored on each performance. After the three rounds were completed, large posters were hung around the cafeteria as the eager students fled to them seeing if they did well enough to continue on to the final round.

“I think it went pretty well for it being the first tournament,” senior coach, Sophie Dowell said.

Even those who did not make it to the final round, proceeded once again into the classrooms to support those who did.

“It was nerve-wracking at first, but everyone was supportive of one another even we didn’t know each other,” sophomore Melissa Bala said.

The tournament finished off with Huntley High Speech Team coaches distributing awards to finalists and top novices.

Sarah Stolpe took first place for Extemporaneous Speaking, and Kate Emmel and Sophie Dowell also took first place in with Humorous Duet Acting.

Two individuals from Huntley placed in Impromptu Speaking, with Samia Desai in fourth and Veronica Casey in third. Kate Urosevich took fourth place for Dramatic Interpretation, Amanda Favila placed first for Original Comedy, and Sam Moore took first for Humorous Interpretation.

Overall, Cary-Grove High School came in first place, Elk Grove came in second, and Glenbard North came in third.

“It was fun getting back into speech after last season,” junior Sam Moore said. “I’m looking forward to a good season.”