“Daddy’s Home Two” was good enough

Courtesy of img.thedailybeast.com

Courtesy of img.thedailybeast.com

Courtesy of img.thedailybeast.com

Riley Murphy

Written by Maddy Domek

“Daddy’s Home Two” was an interesting yet predictable Christmas movie that starred Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg  as “co-daddys.”  This combination of comedians really brought a laugh to the theater. 

Something right off the bat that I found confusing was whose kids were who’s. Although this seems minor, throughout the film there are jokes that would make more sense if you knew this information.

On a different note, I thought PG-13 is an appropriate rating for this movie. It has mature references and language, also it takes away some of the comedy of the whole thing if you don’t understand the jokes.

What I thought was disappointing was that they’re both upper-class families and honestly I don’t understand why movies can’t show normal middle class families. I thought a new element of humor could have been brought to the table if both families were just average people.

I also thought John Cena’s role in it was unnecessary. I thought it was silly of them to choose him when I am sure an aspiring actor similar in build would have done just as good of a job. But like every Hollywood film, they’re just trying to make money. Despite Cena, I think that the casting was done very well and all actors and actresses portrayed their characters very well.

Overall I really enjoyed the movie. I thought it was humorous, even to my angsty teenage self, and I think that both teens and adults would like it. It has humor that can appeal to both audiences. 

This movie definitely had a modern twist to it with references to Airbnb and gender neutral flashcards that are used when giving “the talk” to a young adult.

I also loved the soundtrack that accompanied the movie . For a Christmas movie, the music seemed to really work with the different scenes. Some Christmas movies can be way too in your face with all of the classic Christmas songs, but I felt that this movie was perfectly subtle about their choice of Christmas music and did not over do it at all. It really made the movie a more comfortable watch.

I do recommend this movie because I think that it being a comedy makes it suitable to more people than a drama. I definitely did not think this movie is a cinematic masterpiece, but it was a good for a Christmas comedy.

About the writer
Riley Murphy, A&E editor

This is Riley Murphy's second year being the Arts and Entertainment editor on The Voice. Her new found entertainment obsession: watching Queer Eye and Australian baking competitions. She also enjoys playing with her two dogs Max and Ruby.