A League for the Weekend

Jenna Link

A world without hope. Violence on the streets. A lost role model.

In a world without Superman, there is no set leader or example of good in the DC Universe. The human race has no universal protector. But, with a new villain aiming to lay claim on the earth, the superheroes in the shadows are required to band together to save the planet in “Justice League.”

While “Justice League” may not be a cinematic masterpiece, its actors try to give as much as they can in order to create a movie to be proud of.

Ezra Miller has several standout moments as “The Flash” with his delivery of quick one liners and awkward yet endearing observations over the concept of brunch. His performance is a bright, comedic spot in a movie that strives to have a lighter tone than its predecessors.

Ray Fisher as “The Cyborg” is a welcome addition as well. While he seems stiff and standoffish at first, his personal struggle makes him an interesting character to analyze.

While the attempt to add humor to “Justice League” is welcome, it could not save the action film from itself. Steppenwolf, the villain set to overtake Earth and turn it into his barren homeland, has no development. He appears out of nowhere, with a thin excuse of arriving due to the death of Superman, the protector of Earth. He is one-dimensional and rendered poorly with a vague motive.

One of the most exciting moments was the return of the aforementioned Superman, as noticed in the cast list before the movie was released. While the scene’s tension seems forced, the reanimation of Earth’s Protector provides what is missing: hope.

Henry Cavill and Amy Adams are superb in their roles as Superman and Lois Lane. While limited in screen time, their moments together are tender and surprisingly real. Their romance has the chemistry the forced moments between Batman and Superwoman lack.

Even with franchise changes, the film had an underwhelming opening in the U.S., making $93.8 million while making $185 million from its international debut.

For a film plagued by high budget costs and post-production drama with the departure of director Zack Snyder, “Justice League” still holds its ground. While the standards were set very low after “Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice,” DC came back fighting with a solid piece of work that, at the end of the day, is entertaining and a good way to waste two hours on the weekend.

About the writer