Course Selection Night held for incoming freshmen

Eighth graders Maya Pavithran and Emmalyn Cohen talk to science teacher Brian Lundeen about taking Physics as freshmen next school year. (F. Losbanes)

On January 23-25, Huntley High School hosted its yearly Course Selection Night for incoming freshmen of the 2018-’19 school year.

The night began at 6:30 p.m. in the PAC with a presentation from a few staff members.

In front of a nearly full house of eighth graders and their families, Principal Scott Rowe began the presentation with a few opening words, welcoming the students and families to the school and introduced them to the people accompanying him on stage.

Joining Rowe were Associate Principals Shelly Kish and Danyce Letkewicz, Dean Alice Ohlinger, a few counselors, and teacher representatives from each academy offered at the school.

Counselor Karen Miller then took the mic to discuss the basics of electives offered, how to navigate the course selection form, inform them about summer school, and the process of placement protocol.

“It’s really all about helping them with their transition to high school,” Miller said. “…This night gives them the opportunity to ask the questions they need to ask to make good educated decisions about what they’re going to pick their freshman year.”

Kish went more in-depth on the topic of blended learning and the benefits of it.

The students also received black folders filled with extra information: hard copies of the course selection catalog, necessary forms such as physical education waivers, and ninth grade physicals.

The students will be filling out their course selections online on PowerSchool on Monday, Jan. 29 at Marlowe Middle school and on Thursday, Feb. 1 at Heineman Middle School. High school counselors will be present on those days to help the eighth graders and answer any questions they may have.

Parents will be able to view their students’ selections online as well by logging into PowerSchool.

Although students will not immediately be able to change their selections, on Feb. 10, that option will be open to them if they wish to make edits to their freshman course selections.

The presentation ended with short five-minute speeches from the four academy representatives where they gave quick spiels on the basics of each of their academies, including information on the new Fine Arts and Global Studies Academies as well as the already existing Engineering and Medical Academies.

Each academy had their own break-out session which provided students and families with more information after the presentation ended at 7:25.

Miller thanked the students and families for coming, making a special statement for the homeschooled and transfer students that would be joining next year.

After the presentation, there was a small fair in the field house with all the school departments present. The students and their families could walk around and ask any questions they may have had.

“I really, really like it here,” eighth-grader Angelina Wiley said. “I have a bunch of friends here who are gonna be sophomores next year. I’m really excited because they’ve told me that this place is so wonderful, that there is a lot of freedom, and that you can go [at] your own pace, which is my favorite thing.”

Any information and resources from the night could be found online on the Freshman Academy website.

In the spring, the high school will be hosting Freshmen Orientation Night on Tuesday, April 17, where common FAQs will be answered, an electives fair will be held, and a tour of the school will occur.