Is HHS being left behind as other schools use and teach using augmented reality?

By Jarrod Khoo

Imagine being able to see the Internal Combustion Engine come to life as the pistons move up and down, turning the crankshaft and watching the camshaft turn as it opens and closes valves at the exact time.

How about seeing molecules come together as reactions takes place in Chemistry, polymerization in action, ions moving around right before your eyes? Students can look at the beating heart, seeing the pumping action across four chambers, and then dissect a heart all in augmented reality. 

Or seeing the Normandy landings first-hand instead of reading about them in a textbook. History class would be so much more fun and engaging if students could see and connect with what they learn instead of reading and memorizing it.

Augmented reality has the potential to significantly improve students’ lives. According to Harvard researchers, students have longer retention and they also show better understanding when they get to work with something as hands-on as this technology. And if Harvard is implementing it, then surely there must be some benefit to augmented reality.

But it seems as if Huntley High School is reluctant to implement such a technology. They say they embrace the digital age with Chromebooks, but in a few years’ time those, too, will be outdated. Other programs and technology get the funding they deserve; why should this be any different? 

Augmented reality has the potential to revolutionize education. It fully engages students’ attentions and makes them want to learn new concepts. Augmented reality brings the classroom to life and inspires students rather than boring them. But until Huntley High School’s administration recognizes the importance of augmented reality, it is unlikely that such a technology will be implemented here.