Homecoming pep rally proves to be a success

By Natalie VonderHeide

From the east gym bleachers to Raider Nation, Huntley High School prepares for Friday’s homecoming game with its annual pep rally. 

Students grade nine through twelve group up in the different sections of the bleachers waiting for the celebration to begin. 

As students pile in the gym and scout out their friends to sit by, the anticipation grows. 

“I am excited for it… and the guys poms dance is going to be really great this year,” sophomore Jessica Olson said.

The expectations for this year’s rally are higher than last year, as some upperclassmen see this as a chance to get out of school early. 

“I went to it freshman and sophomore year and I don’t really like [that] freshman year was interesting but sophomore year I just lost interest in it,” senior Michael Eikeland said. 

Principal Marcus Belin has acknowledged these students’ concerns and comments regarding the pep rally and plans on changing it this year. 

“I want to pack out the gym, last year was my first [year], the Homecoming assembly was my first assembly that we had and you know when I was seeing so many people leaving because of blended and it’s the end of the day, I’m out, like I get some students need to leave, [but] I want people to be there,” Belin said.

Cheering and excitement fills the air as math teacher James Allen walks in the room hyping the crowd up. 

The rally starts with the annual class versus class volleyball game. 

Freshmen took the win for the first volleyball game leaving it to the seniors to finish it off with them in the finales. After a close game, seniors took the win and finished off the game with another against the teachers and won. 

Student Council organized more games that included Hungry Hungry Hippos and team races. 

The turnout this year was better than in previous years. In the end, sophomores ended up taking home the spirit barrel full of candy and Raider Way tickets. 

Marcus Belin wants to leave one final message to all the students of Huntley. 

“It’s community and family, you know we are strong as the weakest person… we want you to be involved and to see that this is a great community,” Marcus Belin said.