Teacher Talk with Mr. Banas

K.+Sweeney

K. Sweeney

By Kayla Sweeney

As I walk the halls of Huntley High School, I look around and there are so many people. Everyday I see a new face. I go to school with these people five days a week, seven plus hours a day. So I decided I am going to take a deeper look into the staff here at HHS. 

There are so many members who we do not know. In this teacher talk I am going to get to know Matt Banas; he is a social studies teacher. He teaches Current Issues, American Government, and History of Sports. I personally had him as my American Government teacher sophomore year. 

Banas is an excellent teacher and cares for his students. His favorite part about teaching is improving academic performance and getting to know students. He has worked here at HHS for 12 years. His favorite thing to do is to go to Purdue games. He absolutely loves it. 

His love for teaching started “from family, they stressed education as a way out,” Banas said. Both of his four grandparents were immigrants. 

When he gets home from work, he becomes a dad. Fun fact about Mr. Banas: he has children with crazy Irish names, Shealyn, who is 8 years old, Saoirse , who is 7 years old , Sibeal, who is 5 years old, and Ruarc, who is 3 years old. 

All play soccer and that consumes his life right now. Banas went to school at South Central Indiana; he went to Purdue for his college academic career. Banas also grew up in the Chicagoland area. His favorite food is Greek food and he has been married to his wife for 18 years. 

Overall, Banas is an excellent teacher here at HHS. I hope this week of Teacher Talk you learned something about a staff member that maybe you didn’t know before, and maybe if you did know him you learned something new. It is just crazy how we can be at the same place with someone for so much time and we could not even know them or what they do.