Huntley’s wrestlers claim their victory over Dundee Crown

By Maddie Meucci

Huntley High School’s wrestling team dominated Dundee Crown High School last night in a team meet. JV came close to winning, but lost to Crown by six points. The score was 48-42. Varsity effortlessly won their matches and the final score was 83-0. Overall, Huntley won the meet. 

Huntley’s varsity team has six sophomores this year: Joaquin Miranda, Ryder Hunkins, Josh Cornett, Jake Jensen, Sam Henkle, and Zach Rogala.

Sophomore, Jack Henkle, from the JV team, returned to wrestling this season after a long break away from the sport. Henkle was eager to get back on the mat and begin the season.

“It feels nice to get back onto the mat. I’m just gonna try to better myself everyday and work my way up,” Henkle said. 

Henkle was most excited for meeting new people and bettering himself with the sport and as a person this season. 

“I’m most excited this season for building new friendships and taking the lessons away from wrestling to better myself,” Henkle said. 

Another sophomore, Dilan Jakubowski, joined the team this year. It is his first time wrestling in his entire life. So far he is enjoying the season and he appreciates the friendships he’s made.

“It has really inspired me to become a better person. My companionships with the people on the team have grown tremendously,” Jakubowski. 

Jakubowski has been working very hard to do well in his matches and his dedication and determination shows.

The season looks very bright for Huntley’s wrestling team this season. 

With an 83-0 win, varsity is off to a great start. There are many talented kids on the team, as many pinned their match within the first few minutes of the first period. 

With hard work, determination, and dedication a lot of the boys have the potential to do very well this season.