Upcoming Raider Way lesson informs students of SAT goals, standards

Courtesy of Alberto G. on Flickr

By Taylor Koop

Everyone knows to get into college, they must take the SAT or ACT but their standards are never fully explained- until now.

Huntley High School is creating a Raider Way lesson to explain the scoring system of the SAT and what they should strive for. Since the SAT is newer to our school district, some things were left unclear. Previously, students understood the ACT and its scoring system better. Since the switch, they had never compared the new scoring that comes with the SAT.

What they want to do with these Raider Way lessons is to show students what their scores mean. With that comes being able to meet benchmark scores. They will also explain the different scholarship opportunities they provide, along with other helpful information.

“If you reach the benchmark it means that you have a 75% of getting a C or higher in your freshman year credit classes in college, and I think that’s important for [students] to understand what that means,” Associate Principal Shelly Kish explained.

They want to make sure all students understand what the benchmark score means, and how that effects scholarship money you can receive, and what your tuition is.

Department chairs were also asked to get presentations together so more information could be covered in junior-level courses such as English III, Algebra II, U.S. History, and Chemistry classes. They hope that the more you know about the test, the more comfortable you become.

After the lesson airs, teachers will also be giving students what their goal should be on the test in Algebra II classes. This will be individual and the student will look off their PSAT scores and then create a goal based on that.

When the Raider Way lesson is broadcasted to students, all blended classes are instructed to meet in class. Anyone with a third-period study hall can and will be instructed to watch the lesson in the cafeteria.

This is not supposed to be a bore. The hope for these lessons is for them to not only be informative but also fun; they were filmed in a fun way that is different than ever before. Be on the lookout for this Raider Way lesson in the next couple of weeks.