Three elements of a powerful team: Evan Flynn, Zeeshan Faizal, and Priyanka Damarla

Senior Evan Flynn jokes around with an old protein model (F. Onyibor).

As senior Evan Flynn sits back and watches his Science Olympiad Team, he cannot help but feel a little like a coach.

“He constantly got medals,” said junior Monique Amidon. “But he’s always proud of the fact that other people got medals.”

After being urged on by coach and biology teacher Brigette Zielinski, Flynn joined Science Olympiad his senior year and attacked every competition. He jumped in and embraced the opportunity right away.

“I like science and I like being competitive,” said Flynn. “So why not?”

His leap of faith paid off. He was incredibly successful, but he was never fully satisfied.

“After all the late nights and practices, getting a medal is one of the most rewarding experiences,” said Flynn.

His “Sci-O” teammates see his determination and understand his need to make it not just a club, but an enjoyable and well-bonded team.

“He was constantly goofing off and made Science Olympiad really fun,” said junior Aminah Darabu.

As regionals approached, Flynn saw his coaches, Brigette and Paul Zielinski, tense up.

“Sometimes I think they’d get a little scared or stressed,” said Flynn.

He could tell that what they needed more than anything else was a good laugh.

“I would break up stuff in Mrs. Zielinski’s room,” said Flynn. “I took this jar of beads she had on her table, and flipped it upside down, so the only way she could take it was to pull it up. I tried to get both the Zielinskis to lighten up.”

On bus rides to competitions, Flynn saw another opportunity to get some laughs.

“I’d try and get everyone to meow,” said Flynn. “But it was pretty much me and Ayaz.”

The day of regionals, everyone held their breath as the results were announced. Huntley placed ninth; they did not advance to state.

“It was surprising and a little depressing,” said Flynn. “It sucks, but it’s okay.”

Flynn has thoroughly enjoyed his short time with Science Olympiad, though more than anything, he regrets not joining the team sooner.

“I think about what if I had started it as a freshman, how many medals I could have gotten,” said Flynn. “But you can’t look back on that stuff.”

After dominating in the competition and spreading positive energy to the team, Flynn has clearly established himself a memorable leader of Science Olympiad 2012.

In his sophomore year, senior Zeeshan Faizal had a goal. He took it easy freshman year to get used to the new school and classes, but when the next year rolled around, he realized he needed to burst out of his shell.

“I used to be very shy as a young kid,” said Faizal.

Lucky for him, a friend brought him into the newest club in the school at the time.

“One of my friends in my neighborhood, Vinay Hiremath, started the club when he was a freshman,” said Faizal.

Faizal threw himself into Anatomy, Physiology, Optics, Protein Modeling, and Technical Problem Solving, embracing the opportunity to excel.

“At the end of my first year, we were at one of the invitationals and we were winning a lot and the guy kept saying ‘Huntley, Huntley,’” said Faizal. “It made me feel proud to be a part of something like Science Olympiad.”

Now, in his final year, Faizal realizes just how much he owes to the team.

“It’s been cool to be a part of something bigger than myself,” said Faizal.

While he wishes he had put in more effort, he does not look back on his time with regrets.

“Whatever happened, happened,” said Faizal.

His teammates do not see the shy freshman kid who hardly knew his place in Huntley High School. They see the confident kid who jumped on the stage during an invitational. They see the positive kid who tries to ease any tension. They see the kid who’s won nearly 30 medals. They see a guy committed to it all.

“Zeeshan’s pretty funny,” said Darabu. “He’s always joking and made it more enjoyable.”

He will miss the long practices after school, the invitationals, and his exceptional coaches.

Back when Sci-O was young, in its first year, Priyanka Damarla crossed her fingers and watched as the robot shakily found its footing. She has seen the team through thick and thin and experienced its growth from a brand new club to a successful team.

“We didn’t do anything really the first year,” said Damarla. “We went to regionals, but that was more as a learning experience than anything else. We didn’t place at all.”

Because of Huntley’s rookie status, other schools often underestimated the team.

Early on in regionals, a competitor from Crystal Lake Central approached Damarla:

“Oh, so I heard there was a team with eight people. They must be really smart.”

“Yeah. That’s us,” said Damarla.

Another Central competitor entered the scene.

“They’re not. They’re just from Huntley.”

Needless to say, it was a rough start.

“That was probably one of my most embarrassing moments,” said Damarla.

The following year would prove more successful. They placed eighth in regionals. Her junior year was even more fruitful when they placed fourth in regionals and qualified for state.

“Starting off, we didn’t know anything,” said Damarla. “Seeing how dedicated people have gotten is really inspiring.”

Her senior year brought something one can only describe as heart-wrenching.

“Our last regional, we were four points from making it to state,” said Damarla. “We placed ninth. As a team, we could have done better.”

However, she holds no regrets about her final year.

“We had a lot of struggles but we got to where we are now and I’m proud,” said Damarla. “I really am.”

The different events and categories gave Damarla a chance to push herself.

“It’s really like track and field, but for nerds,” said Damarla.

Science Olympiad impacted her life outside of the team: her choices, her priorities, etc.

“I’ve developed this love for science over the years,” said Damarla. “It’s really shaped what I want to do down the line.”

Regardless of how regionals went, Damarla holds out faith.

“I’m kind of sad that I won’t be around when we make it to nationals,” said Damarla. “But I know it’s going to happen.”