The new coming attraction available at Huntley High

The College and Career Center is an up-and-coming attraction HHS students should
definitely start getting excited for.

The College and Career Center has started displaying military options as well as give a workplace to research (J. Chalas)

“I’m hoping that by mid-November the center will be completely set up,” said John
Teune, college and career counselor.

The start of the center was prompted by Teune along with others in administration, with particular support from counselor Pat Olson-McGee.

The goal of the sight is to relay the importance of education and put students in the mindset that college is the norm after high school.

At the centers completion, separate stations each focused on a particular subject will entice students to explore their options. Some examples include information on financial aid, picking a major, community colleges, technical schools, and the military.

“We wanted to create a culture of academic excellence,” said Teune.

Teune’s job is to answer school-specific questions; however, he reiterates that normal counselors know a lot about college as well. Students should look to them for advice first and if need be, counselors will refer students to Teune.

“It’s important that we [counselors] all work together,” said Teune.

Another valuable source students often overlook is the school website. Just by clicking on the student services tab on the home screen, access to scholarship search engines, financial aid, and more is available.

“We’re still in the process of retooling it,” said John Teune, but even so, the current website offers more than most students take advantage of.

Along with one-on-one college assistance, Teune is in charge of setting up events including the McHenry County College fair coming up this Thursday, Oct. 4. (For more information on this event, visit http://www.mchenry.edu/collegefair/ ).

Students can check out the College and Career Center and the school website for an
update on upcoming college visits and fairs.