Teune’s Tips on College Planning

By Jessica Chalas

For junior and especially for seniors, applying for college is an exciting and liberating, yet extremely
nerve-racking experience.

Thankfully, John Teune, college and career counselor, is here to help.

According to Teune, timeliness is by far the most important aspect of applying. Setting up a timeline is
essential if a successful application process is to be achieved. 

“Get an early start and verify you’re on the right path,” said Teune.

To do this, seniors should set up a visit with their counselors as soon as possible, while juniors should
begin exploring their options as well. Many sources are available to get started on research.

For example, visiting preferred colleges and searching college websites is helpful in gathering
information about costs, financial aid, academics, extra-curricular offerings, and more. In addition, there
are more than 40 colleges coming to Huntley High School over the course of the year.

“I would recommend everyone go to at least a couple [visits] junior and senior year,” said Teune.

It is important to explore the differences in colleges besides cost. Class size, region, living conditions,
and overall atmosphere make a huge difference, but many students are unaware of what they are
looking for – another way that college visits can help.

“You’ll learn something no matter if you’re interested in the college or not,” said Teune.

There is a white binder at the College and Career Center where students can sign up for an upcoming
college visit. A pass will be sent to those students on the day of the visit, at which point they can sit
back, relax, and listen to a short presentation. A representative will “pitch” his or her college and answer
all questions, as well as highlight the all-important deadlines.

“The earlier you get things in, the better chance you’ll get into your chosen school,” said Teune.

Finally, things do not always work out as planned, so a back-up plan is highly recommended.

“Always have a safety school you like, you can get to, and you’re happy with,” said Teune.

Like this article, the college application process is overwhelming…but with Tuene’s tips, it does not have
to be.