content/uploads/2023/10/Creative-Arts-300x300.jpg" alt="" width="300" height="300" />

Haiku is way too overused

To the students of Huntley High School, haiku is more than a Japanese poem with 17 syllables and three lines.  Haiku is something that interferes with their everyday lives.  
     Within my hours upon hours of homework one night, I began to notice a trend.  I logged on to my Haiku LMS account to see that there were four classes listed. As I am only in one blended class, I became frightened by the fact that majority of my classes were heavily involved online.
The Haiku Learning Management System, originally intended for blended courses, is now having a bigger impact at Huntley High School.  Many Huntley High teachers are turning to Haiku LMS for their teacher websites now to post information such as PowerPoint notes and study guides. 
     With many teachers transforming their classes to be more technologically-friendly, teachers often post daily events and reminders on their Haiku LMS page and encourage students to visit the page often. 
     In my case, I walk into my seventh hour AP Language and Composition class to find the Haiku LMS page greeting me with bell work, daily events, homework, and long term assignments.  While convenient, the Haiku LMS format takes away the traditional format of students scrambling to find their assignment notebooks while their teachers tell them their homework for the night.  
     Through this Haiku LMS format, students are beginning to lose touch with their teachers and simply take advantage of finding the homework or notes online at a later time.  By finding this information later, students are losing the connection they once had with their teachers.  
     On the contrary, the Haiku LMS system does create a sense of unity on a different spectrum: a sense of school unity.  The 2012 Mock Election and Lip Dub sign-up were held through a school-wide Haiku LMS site, allowing for an easy way for students to participate in school activities by simply going online.
     The Haiku LMS system believes that their site adds harmony, simplicity, and community to an online learning experience.  While its features add ease to the blended classes, it can take away the simplicity of the standard classroom environments that some students enjoy. 
Students should not be forced into using Haiku LMS if that is something that they do not want.  That’s why students have the option to take blended courses, but it’s not required. 
By incorporating Haiku LMS into more classes, the students of Huntley High are losing their right to choose what they want to take and what method they take it, whether it is blended or traditional.  
     Even though it adds convenience to the traditional classroom atmosphere, Haiku LMS should only be used for blended courses at this time.  
     The more the Haiku LMS system is used in the traditional classroom, the students will take a less active part in their learning.  The students of Huntley High School learn many different ways, and they should be able to continue learning the way they have learned for many years if they so choose. If Haiku LMS really is supposed to make learning easier, why make it more complicated for students.

1
View Comments (1)
Tamara Funke, Author

• A

Anthony ShowalterNov 17, 2012 at 6:59 am

Hi Tamara,

Thanks for your thoughts about Haiku! We’d be happy to chat if you have ideas or suggestions about how to make Haiku better for students.

Anthony Showalter
    VP, Haiku Learning

Reply