HHS Athletic Department preps for future

As the winter athletic season is well under way, more and more changes are occurring in the Huntley High School Athletic Department.  From leadership teams to new facilities, the athletic department has achieved a lot this year and has goals for even more changes in the future. 

After a long time of discussion, the HHS Athletic Wall of Fame is currently being established.  Any graduating Huntley student-athlete or past graduate of HHS that has been an IHSA State Individual Medalist, part of the All-State team, multiple-sport or multiple-year All-Area selection, multiple-sport or multiple-year all-conference selection, an Athlete of the Year, part of an IHSA state qualifying team, an IHSA Sectional Individual Champion, or a multiple-year Individual State Qualifier is eligible to be on the wall of fame. 

In the summer of 2013, Athletic Director Michelle Jakubowski hopes for outdoor facility upgrades for all facilities. 

“I want to be able to look outside and see a transformation,” said Jakubowski. “Change takes time, but I can see really great things coming outside.” 

This basketball season has also allowed the teams to recognize their future Red Raiders.  Students from Conley, Mackeben, Leggee, Martin, and Chesak can be a part of the Future Red Raider Program.  Students would receive 10-15 free tickets to basketball games and be able to sit in front of Raider Nation in order to get the “full experience.”  These kids would then receive special recognition at half-time of the game and participate in some of Raider Nation’s cheers.  

The athletic department has now started naming an Athlete of the Week for Huntley High School as nominated by their respective coaches.  Coaches send their nominations to the athletic office and the winner is drawn out of a hat every Monday.  The Athlete of the Week can be from any age level and the winner receives a 6-inch Subway sandwich, chips, and a 21-oz drink from the Subway between Main Street and Algonquin Road on Route 47. 

As the 2012-2013 school year progresses, the athletic department would like to progress with it.