NHS changes date of induction ceremony

The date has been changed for Huntley High School’s National Honor Society’s induction ceremony, which was originally slated for Jan. 15.

“Because of the conflict with finals, the ceremony has been pushed back,” said math teacher Pam Stone, who serves as the head of the National Honor Society program at Huntley High.

The original date of the ceremony fell before the first day of first semester finals, when Huntley students will be taking their first, second, and third hour finals.

Stone decided to change the date because she knew that many students involved in NHS would be stressed about preparing and studying for their exams. The ceremony will be taking place in mid to late February instead.

The ceremony, which will be held in the PAC, is a candlelit ceremony where every new member of National Honor Society is welcomed and formally inducted into the program. There is an open invitation to the parents and families of NHS members.

During the ceremony, the four core pillars of NHS, scholarship, leadership, service, and character, will be stressed. The ceremony usually lasts about an hour and a half with a reception following the ceremony.

In previous induction ceremonies, Principal Dave Johnson has given a speech to the NHS members and their families to congratulate the students on their achievements.

“It’s nice for everyone to come together and enjoy the ceremony,” said Stone.

Before the induction ceremony takes place, NHS members must fill out a form with some personal information, such as hobbies, that will be used by the senior members of the society to introduce new members. The form will be posted on the NHS website within the next few weeks.

The website has been recently updated by Stone, with the assistance of Anne Pasco, and the newly designed Haiku page will go live in the near future.

The webpage will allow Stone to post NHS updates and schedules so that they will be readily available for NHS members. The society’s Facebook page also helps students involved in the program to stay updated.

The next NHS meeting will take place in the PAC on Wednesday, Jan. 23.