From the hallways to the stage

Freshman, Caitlin Bethke performing in “Controlled,” choreographed by junior Amanda Hopkins. (Pictures courtesy of M. Krebs)

From practicing in the upstairs hallways of Huntley High to performing on a live stage in the Performing Arts Center, Huntley High School’s Orchesis dance team has also been preparing to enter two of their original dances into the Illinois High School State Dance Festival for their third year.

“It’s nice to finally be on stage,” said dancer Amanda Hopkins. “We can actually be prepared for everything.”

After last year’s success, the team is hoping to make auditions again with two original pieces.  The dancers are getting ready for the state dance festival that provides classes with professional dancers and also gives high school dancers the ability to perform in a showcase.

“We worked our butts off in the hallway,” said Orchesis member, Allison Solis.

These dances were featured in the Orchesis dance show, “Unspoken.”   “Unspoken” was a showcase of original dances that are performed and choreographed by the entire Orchesis team, including Junior Orchesis and Orchesis director, Leslie Parrin.

Other dance styles performed included hip-hop, tap, modern, jazz, and African.  The performance also included a dance choreographed and performed by senior, Anthonia Moore, and featured the graduating senior dancers Ify Anikamadu, Bryana Chapman, Francesca Diaz, and Alekya Prathivadi.

The two dances being auditioned in the Illinois High School State Dance Festival are called “Talkin’” choreographed by junior Onyeka  Anikamadu and “Controlled” choreographed by junior Amanda Hopkins. Both pieces feature hip-hop and modern styles of dance.

“Talkin’” will be performed by dancers Ify Anikamadu, Onyeka Anikamadu, Amanda Hopkins, Anthonia Moore, and Aracely Reyes.  “Controlled will be performed by dancers Caitlyn Bethke, Amanda Hopkins, Brenna Lacey, Brittany Mathis, Anthonia Moore, and Bailey O’Rilley.

“I was a little nervous at first, but I’m still really excited for auditions,” said choreographer and dancer Onyeka  Anikamadu.

All performances and practices are leading up to auditions for the Illinois High School State Dance Festival showcase. Auditions for the featured showcase will be held on Feb. 23.