Sherlock Series Three

I just spent my entire Sunday afternoon watching the third series of BBC’s “Sherlock.” The entirety of the third series came out in the UK quite a while ago, but I never got around to watching it. I had to go to work, I was busy with school, I was simply too lazy to get my laptop out; these are several reasons I had for waiting so long to watch.

After spending roughly four and a half hours watching “Sherlock,” I am angry and baffled at how I could have waited so long to watch it.

Amanda Abbington stars as Mary Morstan, Martin Freeman as John Watson and Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock Holmes in "Sherlock" on PBS' (Courtesy of MCT Campus)
Amanda Abbington stars as Mary Morstan, Martin Freeman as John Watson and Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock Holmes in “Sherlock” on PBS (Courtesy of MCT Campus).

Sherlock returned after a two year long hiatus and the audiences found themselves plunged into more mysteries: John Watson’s wedding, and Sherlock Holmes and John’s path to recovering their friendship after Sherlock led John to believe he was dead for two years.

There is also a good amount of time spent on the question that has been on fans’ minds for two years: how did Sherlock Holmes fake his own death?

The last episode of series three ends with a cliffhanger not quite as good as the previous one, but still intriguing. The writers have once again succeeded in drawing the fans in so they must watch series four.

The first episode of series four airs on Christmas Day of 2014. While this hiatus is not nearly as long as the previous one, eleven months is still an awfully long time for fans to wait for their “Sherlock fix.”

Tell me, why am I and my fellow “Sherlock” lovers forced to wait so long for our show to come back? Fans of any other show are force to suffer through hiatuses, but most shows are only gone for a short time during the holiday and then over the summer.

Why is it that Sherlock is on hiatus more than it is off?

Courtesy of MCT Campus
Courtesy of MCT Campus.

Sherlock has a large following of devoted fans who are willing to suffer through the wait, but not many people are willing to wait so long for a single episode. Wouldn’t Sherlock get more viewers and therefore, more popularity if the hiatuses were shorter?

I, for one, would certainly be happier if I didn’t have to wait until Christmas for a new episode. What am I going to do with my life until then?