Courtesy of Daryn Davis

Daryn Davis, Brown University, Track and Field ’24

…to commit to an Ivy league

Growing up I always knew that a great school was within my reach, never in my wildest dreams did I think it would be an Ivy League school. Getting the news of my acceptance made me so ecstatic knowing that they only accepted 9% of applicants this year. I immediately told my entire family and shared my excitement, this had to be one of my proudest moments.

I was notified a week before signing day and the only thing I wanted to do was tell my friends the exciting news, but I couldn’t. I knew the reveal would be worth the wait. Soon after my mom asked me how I would like to celebrate, she said we could do anything I wanted because this was such a big deal. 

My dreams growing up were to be remembered after I left a place and not just for the time I’m there. I wanted to make a difference in people’s life in some way. With this accomplishment I knew I would be given the opportunity to do so. 

A huge deciding factor along with academics was their coaching staff, specifically Coach Ken Hunt. He has had great success in the NCAA and he was also voted the Northeast Region Coach of the Year. I knew with having him as a coach, my dreams of competing internationally would have a better chance of coming true. 

Coming into high school I was looking forward to the transition from middle school to high school track, which was huge. I was given a bigger platform and it was very intimidating. I had to work harder than I had ever before in order to medal at my first state meets both indoor and outdoor as just a freshman. It was insane. 

The first ever jump in my high school career just happened to break the school record and that is when I realized, I could have a bright future in track and field. My junior year season was what I like to call my breakthrough season, this year was filled with great success. From being ranked U.S. number 9 to being recruited by countless Division 1 universities it was all so amazing. 

That year I competed at New Balance Nationals and finished 13th out of the nation’s best high school athletes. I was also named Northwest Herald’s Athlete of the Year. Junior year was a huge learning point in my track career. It pushed me to higher levels. 

With being committed to an Ivy League, it just shows how my work ethic and determination paid off. I’m very goal oriented and self driven. I have a lot of self discipline, I know it’s up to me to get the work done. 

— Daryn Davis

I took comfort in always having motivation from one of my closest friends Kendall Only, we have always competed in the same events. We have always pushed each other to be better, she has been by my side through it all. I am forever grateful for her friendship. 

When I’m running down the track, doing a difficult work out, the only thing that goes through my mind is this quote, “Dreams don’t work unless you do”. That’s a quote I live by on and off the track, the road to where I am now and to where I’m going was not an easy one. 

It took countless hours outside of regular practices, it took the will to succeed. Yes my journey was hard, yes it was stressful, but I wouldn’t have had it any other way. I’m proud of how far I’ve come and I’m excited for what my future has in store for me.

The Voice • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in