Girls track and field hosts the second meet of the season

Huntley High School girls competed in their second meet of the season Tuesday evening (M. Barr).

On Tuesday, March 7, Huntley High School hosted its second track meet for the girls track and field team.

The meet included many different events from pole vault to hurdles.

Sophomore Mary Raclawski placed first in 800 meters with a time of 2 minutes and 26.21 seconds. Junior Chloe Smith made a close second in 800 meters as well with a time of 2 minutes and 27.31 seconds.

Tyra Miller placed first in 60 meters hurdles at 33 inches both in prelims and finals. Her preliminary time was at 9.65 seconds and she was able to shave off a few milliseconds for finals with a time of 9.51 seconds.

Throughout each of the events, every school cheered one another on, showing a true family-like spirit in the fieldhouse.

“I think the way Huntley sticks together as a team and the way we encourage one another has an impact on the overall performance of each of us individually,” freshman Daryn Davis said. “For me, knowing that my team is watching and supporting is not only extremely motivational, but it makes it even more fun.”

Davis set a new personal best in triple jump with a length of 36 ft and 8.5 in, which also placed her in third.

Davis also placed second in 60 meters hurdles at 33 inches in the preliminary round and came in third in finals both in 9.77 seconds.

“We still have quite a bit of time left until state comes at the end of the season―we actually just about hit our halfway mark through the season―but the performance is improving more and more with each rep and each practice and I have a lot of faith that Huntley will do really well especially since we already had such a great start to the season,” Davis said.

[metaslider id=19034]

The relationships throughout the team are definitely very strong, some even consider their teammates a second family.

“[Track] is a great sport that has a lot of different opportunities for you to find different things that you could be good at. It’s a great atmosphere of people and teammates and overall it’s a family,” junior McKenzie Krich said.

Krich dominated in high jump, making a new personal record of 5 ft 2 in and placing first as well.

Huntley’s girls track and field team secured 123.5 points which placed them at first overall in the invite.

“I think that if Huntley maintains where we are and continues to keep excelling, we have a good shot at a lot of things,” Krich said.

For those who are thinking of joining the team, definitely make sure to check out one of their meets or invites and see what happens because it is a lot going on at once. But many girls on the team can assure it is worth it.

“It takes a while to get used to the workouts and the overall vibe, but once the season’s underway it’s a really fun experience and [you] build a lot of new relationships,” Davis said.

Make sure to catch the girls at their next invite, the HHS Indoor Invite, on March 11 at 2 p.m.