Girls golf team proves themselves strong

By Kelsey Ryan

On Sept. 19, Huntley High School’s girls golf team beat McHenry High School at a golf match at Pinecrest Golf Course. The team had a successful day on the course and achieved new records for the season both together and individually.

“This was our lowest score of the season,” coach Ann Christiansen said.

Two leading varsity players, Katie Weidner and Katie Matustik, both shot a 39 which earned them medalist honors for the match. Rounding out the top three scores earned in the match, was Maggie Matustik with a 41.

“We all shot pretty well today and with the state series coming up, we just have to keep playing the way we are, or better, to make it past regionals as a team,” Katie Matustik said. “I feel that my whole game is finally starting to come together, and I’m hoping to stay there through the rest of the season.”

A new addition to the team, freshman Molly Baker, rounded out this event’s top four average scores to secure the victory over McHenry High School. Baker earned a 44 during today’s match.

Another freshman on the golf team, Nina Schaffer, earned a 47 during today’s match.

“I am very proud of my team, and I know that everyone worked very hard tonight,” Schaffer said. “It has been a great season so far!”

Huntley ended the match with a score of 163, achieving their lowest score for the season. McHenry finished with a 196.

The highest score shot by McHenry was Sarah Ferris with a 41. Following with a 44 was Jolie Pugliese, and rounding out the top three scores was Kayla Carpenter with a 51.

Huntley’s girls golf team is actively preparing for the regional tournament on Oct. 4. They are hoping to make an appearance at the state championship on Oct. 12.