Color Guard starts the preseason off right

Photo courtesy of: Emily McCusker

Their feet pound on the hard linoleum floor of the cafeteria as they count the beats in their heads. Each movement is carefully planned and executed to be in sync. They flow from one component to the next with each step having some meaning to match the music.

The HHS Color Guard adds the visual component to halftime shows that all HHS students enjoy during the football season. Performing with the band using flags and rifles, the Color Guard adds flair to already dramatic programs.

February 10 was the annual preseason clinic, labeled as the “HHS Color Guard Spintastic.”

According to the Huntley High School Band Boosters, the practice was open to anyone interested in joining the team next season, regardless of skill or previous experience. It included District 158 students from sixth grade all the way up to seniors at the high school.

“It’s the second year we’ve done it, but it’s really successful,” senior joint captain Emily McCusker said.

The event was one day only, but even in the short time period, participants learned the starting blocks for certain skills, such as basic dance and flag moves, and a short routine.

“They learned the anatomy of the flag, the tape and the tab and the silk, and they learned basic movies like crazy eights, how to stand in slam and at attention, and a mini combo move that we call Drop Dead Fred,” McCusker said.

The guests and parents of those who participated were then invited to watch the routine at the end of the clinic. It was a fun, educational day for all those who took part.

In the spring, clinics will be held in order to join the team for the fall season. The early start is imperative to get the word about the program to those who are considering joining.

“People who are two or three years away from high school are already interested in guard, which is important,” McCusker said.