Huntley Girls Swim Swam to Success

By Kyle Abruzzo

Swimmers loudly chanting, audience screaming and cheering, as everyone awaits one of the biggest meets of the season. Girls varsity swim conference is about to unfold with teams from all different schools. Huntley, Jacobs, Dundee Crown, Woodstock North, McHenry, Cary, and Crystal Lake are all competing to win the conference title.

The Huntley girls swimmers have improved in many ways leading up to this meet.

“I have seen them improve not only on their times, but also growing as a team whether that be their friendships, or their teamwork,” assistant coach Laura Pellegrino said.

Right off the bat in the first event, senior Katelyn Carlson, freshman Caitlyn Gooden, freshman Ella Young, and freshman Abigail DeVries took third in the 200 Medley Relay with a time of 1:57.57. But it did not stop there. In the third event of the meet, Young took third place in the 200 IM with a time of 2:15.75. Young also received another third place in event nine swimming the 100 Backstroke with a time of 1:01.14. And for the first time in Huntley’s girls swim team history, Young was handed the Newcomer award.

In the fourth event, Emma Bolas received fourth place and a personal best in the 50 Freestyle with a time of 25.62 seconds.

“For the past three weeks I have dropped my time, so it is a great accomplishment for me to get a 25 today. I am hoping to get a 24 next week,” varsity Bolas said.

Huntley did not tire out for this whole meet. In the 10th event, Gooden took third place in the 100 Breaststroke with a time of 1:12.55.

Now event 11, the final event. Huntley is hoping to finish out strong and they do just that. Freshman Alyssa Tramuta, Carlson, DeVries, and Young take home fifth place in the 400 Freestyle Relay with a time of 3:53.37.

Huntley has worked all season for these results.

“I really think the girls did a great job of becoming one team. The team bonding activities and all the pasta parties the girls went to really solidified their friendships and helped us grow as a team which you can see in their swims today,” head coach Jenna Gaudio said.

Huntley gave it their all for every event and it payed off with a overall fifth place award in this meet. Next week, Huntley will go on to sectionals and they hope to keep these good swims rolling all the way, till the end.