HHS Robotics and more honored at April BOE meeting

Logo courtesy of District 158’s website

By Jarrod Khoo

The April 18 Huntley Community School District 158 Board of Education meeting began on time at 7 p.m. and moved fluidly last night, the first notable highlight being the board’s recognition of the Huntley High School VEX Robotics team, which recently qualified and competed at their state competition. The team then posed for photos with the board members.

The board then deferred to Huntley High School principal Marcus Belin, who introduced to the board Huntley High School Robotics coach Amanda Henk; Belin then passed the room to Coach Henk. She then introduced the team members to the board and elaborated on their achievements throughout the season. Afterwards, the team received a standing ovation from the board and audience.

After the departure of the robotics team, Heineman principal James Litchfield introduced Heineman girls basketball coach Kathleen McCrystal. She then introduced the girls’ basketball team members to the board and elaborated on their achievements throughout the season. Afterwards, the team posed for photos and received a standing ovation from the board and audience.

After the departure of the basketball team, Laura Brummer, Christy Gibbs, and Tammy Carpenter introduced the Young Author’s Award winners from each grade level. The award winners then posed for photos with the board members.

The board then proceeded to skip the public comments portion of the meeting, as none had been scheduled for this session. Dr. Rowe then approached the board and summarized the recent tour that Huntley High School gave to members of the Del Webb senior community, praising the Huntley High Academies that presented to the tour group. Afterwards, the board proceeded to resume closed session.

Soon after some routine updates, the meeting proceeded to conclude at 8 p.m.