Leave it on the dance floor

Sydney explores and talks about dance in a new light!

Some people dance for fun and some people dance as their career. Dance is not for everyone but in some way shape or form dance has probably touched everyone’s life. Dance is one of the things that can make someone happy because they have the ability to let go and be themselves.

Dance originated in India but more specific styles like ballet originated in Italy and jazz originated in New Orleans. There are many different styles of dance all across the world and everyone has their own touch on what it means to them. Popular dance styles include hip hop, ballet, waltz, tap, modern, jazz, contemporary, and salsa. All of these styles are popular styles people perform today. 

Hip hop originated in New York in the early 1970s and has quickly moved throughout the world. Hip hop is a popular dance team and professional dance company style. The Hip Hop ConnXion is the most popular hip hop dance company in the world. Their one goal is to inspire people around the world to do what they love. 

Ballet originated in the 15th century in Italy by King Louis. It has then since evolved around the world and has become a popular form of dance to be performed. With many different companies there come different styles of ballet that are taught. The different styles that people generally train in are Vaganova, Cecchetti, Bournonville, and Balanchine. Ballet performances are popular around the country and many people go to ballet performances. 

Jazz originated in 1817 in New Orleans as improvisation to jazz music and later evolved into high intensity movements to upbeat music. Jazz combines African and European dance styles to create movements. Since jazz is high intensity it is set apart from other dance styles like ballet. Jazz has helped create other styles of dance such as ballroom and modern. Jack Cole is the father of jazz and helped develop it into what it is today. 

Contemporary is one of the newest styles of dance as it was created in the 20th century by Merce Cunningham who was a student of Martha Graham. Contemporary dance is a combination of classical ballet and modern dance. When having the idea of contemporary dance Merce Cunningham was trying to put an attitude on modern dance and make contemporary different than anything anyone has seen. Contemporary is heavily about improvisation and allows physical and emotional expression based on the music choice. 

Salsa was created in the 20th century in Cuba but had some Spanish, African, and Caribbean influences. Salsa has a cultural significance of pride and cultural identity and has influenced the music that is played while dancing. Salsa has started to go into the ballroom style of dance through the years but it still remains a part of celebrations and festivals. The music that is played while salsa dancing is melodies of Spanish, African, and Cuban and includes different instruments.