Serving on and off the runway

Junior Shamel Duran on modeling and being involved in school.
+Duran+modeling+in+a+quinceanera+dress.
Provided by Shamel Duran
Duran modeling in a quinceanera dress.

It’s Saturday morning and unlike most students, Shamel Duran is busy doing her hair and makeup. She is getting ready to walk down the runway in her 15-pound dress in front of a room full of people.

Duran started modeling for the company Scelebrations 2 years ago after her friend who has been doing it for years introduced her. 

“My friend Saima introduced me, and she gave me modeling tips like how to walk and how to pose,” Duran said. 

Duran enjoys modeling as it has taught her so much and given her amazing experiences. 

“My favorite part about modeling is my friends, I love my new friends that I made out of it,” Duran said. “And I having that experience knowing I can walk properly in a dress and walk properly in high heels.”

Duran also feels that modeling has allowed her to grow as a person. She feels that it has made it possible for her to face her fears and become more confident in herself. 

“My fear was actually talking or just being the center of attention at a moment, and in modeling everyone is looking at you,” Duran said. “I feel like that got me to face my fear and get over it.”

Modeling also takes a lot of work off the runway. Duran not only does expos but also does photoshoot days for her company, which are long and hard days. 

Photoshoot days or expos can be very challenging as it can be so hectic. “Everyone’s running around doing hair, doing makeup, or putting on a dress,” Duran said. 

Despite the stresses, Duran enjoys modeling and while she does not want to focus on it in the future, she is not opposed to doing little bits here and there. Going into the future, Duran wants to focus more on school.

“I do want to become a pediatric nurse, and I want to work in St. Jude Hospital when I get older,” Duran said.

In her extracurriculars and at school, Duran focuses more on her future with becoming a nurse. Duran is a part of the medical academy, HOSA, Big Brothers Big Sisters, and Silvercord

“She’s very hardworking and determined,” Duran’s friend Raquel Barcenas said. “Overall, she’s a really friendly and kind person to others.”

Handling all these different activities seems like a challenge to most kids, but Duran handles it well. 

“I see her and she’s never stressed, the way she handles everything is amazing,” Duran’s friend Gabriela Sanchez said. “She’s always happy and always positive about it.”