Cheer prepares for upcoming season

As they line up on the football field, the freshman, JV, and varsity cheerleading squads get ready for practice. It’s a new year and a fresh start. Freshman Coach Renee Fowler chats with JV Coach Kim Hoffmann while the girls practice their Homecoming routine to perfection. This year there are 23 members on the freshman squad, 25 on JV, and 31 on varsity; leading up to the grand total of 79 hardworking and dedicated cheerleaders.

“These are the most talented three squads we’ve had,” said Julianne Brunken, varsity cheer co-coach.

Unfortunately, they were not able to perform their Homecoming routine because of the bad weather that made the football field unsafe for them. They will be performing it on Senior Night.

Over the summer the girls went to a camp for three days that was run by the University of Kentucky cheerleading squad.

“It was a great opportunity to work with a 19-time national champion squad. They gave us a lot to work on and they were so fun to work with,” says sophomore Lexi Gardocki.

Last year, varsity proved their skills and won first place. Now, with their first competition on December 22 at the Sears Centre, and Sweetheart in January, the coaches don’t waste any time at practice. Varsity Co-Coach Nathan Schmitt is currently on maternity leave and will be back Oct. 15.

Everyone is stepping it up this year and giving their all when it comes to the sport.

“The team is a lot closer this year than the last, and we get along well,” says sophomore Danielle Dietzler.