Huntley principal announces retirement

Longtime Huntley High School Principal Dave Johnson announced his retirement in an email to teachers on Friday. He plans to retire at the end of the 2012-2013 school year after spending the past 17 years as principal.

He has seen the school undergo a major identity change in his tenure. Two years into the job, in 1997, he oversaw the move of the school from what is now the Huntley Park District building to its current location at the Harmony Road campus.

Nine years later, in 2005, he oversaw transition again when the building became solely a high school, as the middle schools transferred to the Heineman and Marlowe middle school buildings.

“Clearly I think the one constant throughout the entire time I’ve been here has been the student growth,” said Johnson Monday. “And with that, I’ve gotten to enjoy all of the opportunities and challenges that come with that. Everything from building programs to hiring teachers to becoming, quite frankly, what is a large suburban high school from what was a small town high school.”

AP Economics, Statistics, and Calculus teacher Stephen Styers, a 24-year veteran of the district, will miss Johnson.

“I’m certainly sad to see him go,” said Styers. “We’ve worked very well together from many years.”

Many students shared the same sentiments of sadness and disappointment. Junior Michelle Simek thinks next year will not be the same without Johnson’s leadership.

“With him gone,things are going to be so much different,” said Simek. “It’s definitely going to be weird.”

Senior Katy Siegfort, who will be graduating in June, feels the change will still affect her and other seniors despite them being gone.

“I probably won’t even come back to visit the school next year,” said Siegfort. “I really think he makes this school, and I don’t see it being as great without him.”

According to District 158 Chief Human Resources Officer Jessica Lombard, the search for Johnson’s replacement starts now. She anticipates a listing for the job will be put out within the next week, with the main goal being the attraction of what she called “good, quality individuals” to apply for the job.

It is expected that many individuals from both outside and inside the school will apply. While the district takes applications, it will also create a selection team of staff from both the high school and the district office to decide on which applicants will be interviewed, and later who will ultimately get the job.

“It’s a great time of year to start this search,” said Lombard. “Many people will be looked at for both the position and the interview team.”

1
View Comments (1)
Tom Heagney, Author

• T

Tony MerevickDec 3, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Wow. As an HHS alumnus, this is pretty shocking news. But at the same time, I’m not so surprised. Things change all the time. I wish Mr. Johnson the best of luck in his next chapter. I am certain he will be missed.

Reply