D158 Board of education meeting recognizes its students

Photo courtesy of C. Paddock

On Thursday evening at 6:12 p.m., School District 158 commenced their Board of Education meeting. The meeting began with a quick role call from the board.

The roll call was immediately followed by a closed session, where the board left to discuss in another room. The closed session lasted almost a hour long.

The open meeting then began with the Pledge of Allegiance from four Mackeben Elementary school students. After the pledge, the students were seated where the board previously was, as parents happily took their pictures.

Multiple questions such as, “What is your favorite class?” and “What are you planning to do this summer?” were asked by the board members. The students answers provided some humor and “aawws” to the meeting.

When asked what they want to be when they are older, the kids replied with principal, police officer, police officer, and assistant principal. The crowd laughed at the student who said assistant principal, because of how specific he was.

The elementary students left and then the board brought forward the topic of academic acknowledgement. Students from Huntley High School’s newspaper program were appreciated for placing eighth at state overall.

Students Camille Paddock, Bri Governale, Mawa Iqbal, and Devin Martin being honored at the board meeting. (C. Paddock)

Newspaper teacher, Dennis Brown, introduced students who placed while at state competition. The students were Camille Paddock (second in Feature Writing), Jess Espinoza & Bri Governale (second in Yearbook Theme), Bri Governale (fifth in Yearbook layout),  and Mawa Iqbal (6th in News Writing). Brown also mentioned senior Devin Martin who was named to the Illinois Journalism Education Association All-State Team.

After recognizing the students, Brown thanked to the board for their help. The newspaper staff left and the board resumed their discussion.

Following the topic of academic acknowledgment, the board brought up issues such as revising the agenda and funding for summer school programs. Most issues were second to no change, resulting in an adjournment at 7:40 p.m. to end the session.