Huntley’s varsity soccer team defeats Dundee Crown

By Amelia Pozniak, Editor in Chief

On April 14, Huntley’s boys varsity soccer team played their first game of the season in their conference tournament. Winning 3-1 against Dundee Crown High School, Huntley moves up in their conference, extending this year’s season.

Despite conflict presented to Huntley’s athletes by COVID-19, the varsity soccer team holds a current record of 8-3-1. The team has persevered through any challenges regarding IHSA guidelines this school year.

“We came into the season without a ton of time to prepare because of COVID, and we have two players who have torn their ACLs.” senior Pierce Abed said. “We’ve had a pretty successful season even though we’ve suffered a ton of adversity.”

In the first half of the game, Chris Czyz scored Huntley’s first goal with less than 4 minutes left in the period. 

Hayes Porsche and Thomas Rodriguez both scored goals in the second half.

“It was a great feeling to score tonight,” Rodriguez said. “It was a great performance by the team as a whole as well.”

Although Dundee scored in the beginning of the second half of the game, Huntley still brought their team to defeat by 2 points.

“Tonight’s game was a huge turning point for not only our team but the organization as a whole considering our playoff history with Dundee Crown,” junior Ethan Kornas said.

If Huntley had lost this game, their season would now be over, causing senior athletes to reflect on their final season of playing their high school sport.

“We are so lucky to have one of the best senior classes in recent years, with three of us committed to play D2 in college,” Abed said.

Huntley’s varsity soccer team has officially finished 3rd in the conference, allowing them to compete in the semifinals of the conference tournament. 

“This season has been really fun. I couldn’t ask for a better group of boys to fight through the adversities of a pandemic with,” said varsity coach Matthew Lewandowski. “They’ve been positive from the beginning. I was definitely satisfied with out win against Dundee Crown. The boys played well and showed what caliber of team they really are that night.”

Because of Huntley’s win against DC, the team will play Hampshire tomorrow night. The team hopes to advance to the championship game.