What it takes to lead in the snow

Brandon Boroski: Snow Raiders Planning Committee

Snow Raiders Committee

Snow Raiders Committee

By Sophia Coronado

Huntley High School’s Snow Raiders club gives its 180 members the opportunity to learn to ski or snowboard. The group plans group trips, helps at events, and creates a social outlet. It takes a committee to lead the club, a group of around 15 students from varying grades and experience. 

Sophomore Brandon Boroski plays golf and baseball in his free time, but his other outdoor sport is very different. Although he picked up skiing nine years ago, he’s now in his sixth year Snow Raiders since he was introduced to the group by his sister. 

This year is his first serving on the committee, and according to Snow Raiders club sponsor Angela Zaleski, the committee is voluntary. 

“He has been integral in helping since the start. He has also been skiing with the club way before being in high school” Zaleski said.

With so much responsibility in leading the large club, the committee allows for each member to have the freedom of helping with lots. According to Boroski and Zaleski, members can help with things like prepping for bus trips, organizing their parent meeting, marketing and decorating the club display case, filling in orders for trips and homecoming events.

“There’s more meetings toward the beginning of the season, which is more like planning out the theme days, like whether it’s gonna be onesie or flannel. We also help with picking days to go on group trips. And we plan events, like Spooky Buddies in the fall,” Boroski said.

Once in the committee, members meet to discuss how to improve the club.

In order for everyone to be able to participate together, the Snow Raiders club holds about 6 group trips each season, according to Boroski. 

Although the committee does lots of work in order to lead the club, Boroski still has his favorite aspects about being a part of the team.

“Just kind of hanging out with everybody is really fun and being able to find them when you’re out there and just ski with them. Because when you’re up there it’s kind of hard to tell who everyone is,” Boroski said.

Serving on the committee is not only beneficial to the club, but also to the committee member. The experience teaches important life lessons that will be held onto for years to come.

“I mean I’ve learned how to plan and learn about the background of stuff, not just the event, because there’s a lot that goes into it. A lot more than people think, especially with all that the teachers do,” Boroski said.