HHS’s The Sharp Set barbershop quartet district champions

The Sharp Set performing on stage (R. Peterson).

On February 12, The Sharp Set, made up of seniors Christian Aldridge, Brody Burkart, Zach Polentini, and Chris O’Meara, placed second at the regional barbershop contest, hosted in Huntley High School’s PAC, which qualified them for the district competition. They placed behind a group from Barrington High School. This group took third at the district competition.  Another Huntley group The Quartic Quartet, consisting of juniors Dylan Ladd, Andrew Rewerts, Tyler Darnell, and Austin Wise placed second at the district contest.

“We’ve probably been practicing for a few months, in class and after school,” said O’Meara.

The United States is divided into 13 regional districts that are all a part of the Barbershop Harmony Society. Illinois has its own district. The Quartic Quartet also attended the contest, along with a quartet from Barrington High School.

Members of The Sharp Set have competed in these barbershop competitions for three years. Two years ago, as the group Does this Chord Make Me Look Flat, they placed second at the district competition. Last year, as Resolvery, they qualified but were unable to attend due to conflicts with the school musical.

Over the last three years, Polentini and Burkart were brought into the group to replace graduating seniors. O’Meara and Aldridge were part of the quartet that placed second at the district contest.

This year, The Sharp Set performed “Heart of My Heart” and “Who Will Buy.” The group’s performance earned it the ultimate success in high school barbershop competition in its final year of competition.

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo1x1sxIOQc?fs=1&feature=oembed&w=640&h=360]

Embedly Powered

“I think that this overall was just a really fantastic way to end senior year,” said O’Meara. “We were really striving to hopefully win because we got second two years ago and second at regionals.”