Huntley bands present the annual Winter Band Concert

Soft chatter filled the auditorium as family and friends took their seats. Audience members flipped through their programs as a group of Santa Claus hats in the first few rows, waited patiently for their turn. The lights began to dim as a single clarinet played the tuning note.

On Dec. 1, the Huntley High School bands performed their annual Winter Band Concert.

Rick Rohde and Philip Carter conducted the six ensembles, which consisted of Symphonic Band, Jazz Ensemble, Percussion Ensemble, Concert Band, and Wind Ensembles A and B.

According to Rohde, the students had only four weeks to master their repertoire.

“This quarter was incredibly shortened so we didn’t have much time,” said junior Matt Rodriguez. “But we’ve still shown a lot of progress as a band despite that.”

Due to the time of year, the concert was geared more towards the holiday season.

“Everyone played some form of Christmas repertoire,” said Rodriguez. “Whether it was the Jazz Ensemble or the Symphonic Band.”

The program was complete with classical pieces, jazz selections, and other fusions such as “Hark! Those Jingle Bells are Smokin’!”

“We always try have a diverse program,” said Rodriguez. “One piece is always more upbeat to get the audience excited, while the other is usually more harmonious.”

The fine arts boosters had also set up tables to promote their fundraisers. Audience members were encouraged to donate towards the goal of $1000. If the band reached their goal, the fine arts boosters would match their earnings for a total of $2000.

“It’s a great opportunity for us to build our program,” said Rohde. “[The students] really deserve it.”

The funds raised will be put towards students scholarships and teacher grants.

“The great thing about this program is you get to meet lots of new people and take part in new experiences,” said Rodriguez. “There’s room for everybody on any level of playing and we’re all incredibly grateful to be a part of this big family.”