MCC hosts Career Expo for the future workforce of Mchenry County

Mchenry County College hosted its fourth annual Career Exploration Showcase on April 13, from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. located in the MCC Gym.

Open to middle and high school students and their families, the Expo featured representatives from an array of fields to showcase the work done in their respective industries. From manufacturing to health care to graphic arts, students had the opportunity to explore different career options.

The idea of this expo came from a discussion among MCC and other area high schools about how to make information about career planning available to students and their parents. According to Manager of New-Student Transitions Kellie Carper, getting information out to these families is crucial in goal-setting and decision-making.

Student experiences welding through a virtual reality arc welding simulator (Coutesy of mchnery.edu).

“It is very important to get students thinking about different career options so that they can make the right choices in high school and use their education wisely,” said Carper. “We want students to be able to have information to help them make the important decisions about college when it is time.”

Aside from visiting the booths and listening to the different industry representatives, families at the Expo can stop by the Career Cruising Corner. This software system is used by many high schools in the county and assists students in building career and college portfolios.

“The Career Cruising Corner is designed to help students connect their passions with a career,” said Carper. “We want to be sure that students and families are aware of some of the tools that will help them on this path.”

Because the healthcare and manufacturing industries are the two largest employers in the county, the Expo focused heavily on STEM and healthcare programs.

The Expo featured an individual STEM zone which showcased engineering, robotics, science and the computer technologies. Among the various healthcare areas showcased were nursing, occupational therapy, early childhood education program, paralegal program, horticulture, culinary management and the arts.

By concentrating on the dominant industries in the area, MCC hopes to excite the future workforce of Mchenry County to stay and work within the area.

“We want them to embrace the career exploration process and to see how many wonderful employment opportunities exists right here in McHenry County,” said Carper.