Legally Blonde marks the end of many HHS performers’ high school careers

Members of the first-cast perform one of the last musical numbers of the show (M. McGee).

The Huntley High School Performing Arts Center showcased their production of “Legally Blonde: The Musical” on April 28 and 29 at 7 p.m. and on April 30 with shows at 3 and 7 p.m. in the PAC.

The musical, based on the famous box office movie “Legally Blonde” which starred Reese Witherspoon as Elle Woods, was almost identically portrayed by the cast.

LEGALLY BLONDE 3
Actors from the first cast perform the “Bend and Snap” number (M. McGee).

With only a few small parts left out or adapted, the show, which was double cast for main roles such as Elle Woods, Emmett Forrest, Paulette Bonafonte, Warner Huntington III, and a few others,  entertained and kept the crowd laughing throughout the show.

For most of the cast in this show, it was their last high school production. Legally Blonde consisted of mostly upperclassmen, as opposed to Huntley’s previous musical, “Mary Poppins,” which was mostly underclassmen.

“I loved being able to work with the upperclassmen and getting to know them and their past roles they’ve been,” said sophomore Jewel Tibar.

For Tibar, a returning performer as she has been a part of “Annie Jr.,” “Into the Woods,” and “Mary Poppins,” this show and cast stood out to her most.

“My favorite part about being in Legally Blonde was the songs,” said Tibar who played the TV Reporter. “‘Legally Blonde’ is definitely different from other productions I’ve been in. The music and the show itself is very modern and upbeat.”

For every production comes both new and old cast members. For sophomore Sophie Dowell, this being her first high school production, the experience was one she will never forget.

“This was not only my first high school production but my first mean character,” said Dowell who played the role of Vivienne Kensington. “It was a lot of fun to become someone completely opposite of who I really am.”

The directors of Legally Blonde, Nancy Cross and Tom George, played a huge role in leading their cast and making this show successful.

“My favorite part about working with the cast and directors is that everyone loves each other,” said Dowell. “None of us fight, we can be ourselves around one another, and we know how to have fun in any situation.”

“They always find a way to make everyone in the cast involved,” said Tibar. “They both teach us how to not only become better performers, but also how to be a good cast member.”