College application help from counselors

Courtesy of Needpix

By Riyana Walker

As we all know, COVID-19 has flipped the world upside down; there is not much to be said about that. Life and the normal day to day dynamic has changed. 

At this point in a senior’s high school career, there should be college applications and homecoming plans to be enjoyed.

Instead, there is no homecoming and students have a million questions about college that are hard to answer. Many of these surround transcripts and applying to different schools. If you did not take the College and Careers course during your time at Huntley, prior to your senior year, there is no way you would know how to go about applying and the whole common app process. 

There are so many resources that we are unaware of. I would like to give a huge shout out to the counseling department for not letting us feel alone. My counselor, Mrs. Frasor, has done a phenomenal job staying on top of things and making sure I am prepared and that all the questions I have are answered. 

This year has been so crazy and time has continued to pass by without us even realizing it. That being said, there are so many resources that we should be taking advantage of such as the Huntley High School haiku page. There are links to the counseling department as well as links to common app help. 

When setting up your accounts and getting the information for your transcript, there are links to help with all of these things. There are just such few things that we are aware of that can be used to our benefit during a time we need it most. 

If there is something you specifically need help with, there is still the calendar app that allows you to set up meetings with your counselors. There will be a one on one Zoom meeting allowing you to ask any questions you may have and share any problems that you may be going through. 

Although this is a difficult time that we are living through, continue to reach out to your counselors. They are still here to help. I know first hand that meeting with my counselor really helped me and explained things more clearly. The teachers also have gone through extraordinary measure to make sure we have the tools we need to succeed. If COVID-19 did one thing, it brought the school and the community together. It showed us that we still have shoulders to lean on. Look for help and resources on the high school haiku page as well as the district page.