We need more asynchronous learning

By Ruhi Gulati

Every single day is the exact same. You wake up, log onto Zoom, and spend the next seven hours staring at a computer screen. Then, you spend the rest of the evening completing your homework. It is boring, exhausting, and repetitive. This is where asynchronous learning comes in.

Asynchronous learning is when teachers do not require students to log onto Zoom for class and allows students to work independently. Most teachers are still available during the class period, allowing students to participate in a one-on-one learning session with the teacher if they need extra help.

Because of its efficiency and flexibility, asynchronous learning allows students to work at their own pace and complete all of their work. Oftentimes, when a student is sitting for a whole 90 minute class period and is assigned hours worth of homework, a student can feel unmotivated to complete their assignments. 

Maya Pavrithan, a junior at Huntley High School, has firsthand experience when it comes to asynchronous and synchronous learning. 

“I personally prefer asynchronous learning since I can do stuff on my own time. I find it hard to focus in synchronous classes anyways,” Pavrithan said. 

In synchronous classes, students often struggle with paying attention in a 90-minute class. In contrast, with asynchronous learning, students can work on their own time and follow their own schedule.

“I would rather learn on my own time, so I can pace myself. I chose a lot of blended classes because I knew I would work well in those classes,” Pavithran said.

Asynchronous learning is an excellent substitute, especially for blended classes. Students who sign up for blended classes thrive in the flexibility of the blended system and would excel in their asynchronous classes.

However, asynchronous learning still does not compare to synchronous learning in the communication department. 

“[In synchronous learning,] you get to talk to the teacher in real-time, and you don’t have to wait around for an answer,” Pavithran said. 

As a result, asynchronous learning should not overpower synchronous learning, but should still be available for students. There should be a mandatory day of the week in which students have the option to go asynchronous. 

If the high school curriculum incorporates more asynchronous learning into their remote plan, students would be more likely to enjoy their week and improve their grades.