Geometry in Construction nailed their first project of the year

Provided by James Allen

Huntley High School’s Geometry in Construction class stands in front of their most recent project.

By Zoe Hurmi

Every day at 10:58 a.m. a few students are eager to get to their math class. Navigating the halls, these students get to their Geometry in Construction class, making their day a little brighter.
Geometry in Construction is another form of a Geometry class that sophomores can take. The class takes up two class periods and it counts for a math credit and elective credit.
According to James Allen, Geometry in Construction teacher, there was a lot of hesitation from students on whether they should take the class. Many were concerned that they would sign up for the class and then they would have to go back home, which would not allow for the hands-on experience of the class.
This class has helped many students fully understand Geometry in a way that the normal classroom setting would not teach.
“I definitely like it cause I’m a hands-on learner so it helped me apply the math to something in real life so I could have a visual of it,” sophomore Kylie Lucas said.
The students in the class had started building within the first month of school. Before the students could pick up a hammer and nails to start building, they all had to take multiple tests on safety equipment.
The students learned about the tools, what each of the parts are, and what each tool would be used for. Then, they were tested with a teacher present to make sure that the students knew how to properly use these tools and not hurt themselves or others.
This year, the Geometry in Construction class has been working on building the roof for the dugout. A dugout is the baseball team’s bench and is located in foul territory between home plate and either first or third base.
The plan for the class was to build the whole dugout. Unfortunately, due to issues with quarantine, a majority of the dugout was not built by the Geometry in Construction class. The students had built the roof of the dugout with mostly wood and then covered the top of it with corrugated steel, but they ran into a few problems while building.
“The rafter that we cut was off. We had to figure out how to adjust them, which is where we brought the math in,” Lucas said.
Overall, the students in the class have enjoyed the hands-on experience and learning about construction in a new way.
“It was fun. It was something we got to do. It was interesting learning everything and working on stuff together,” sophomore Eric Serrano said.
After finishing their first project, the Geometry in Construction class is stoked to get back to building new projects around the school.