RAD’s LGBTQ event passes with flying colors

RAD celebrates the LGBTQ community in its second annual Color Run.
L. Martil
Patrons getting covered at a color station.

On April 20, the Huntley High School RAD Committee held its second annual Color Run in celebration of the LGBTQ community. While weather conditions were unfavorable with temperatures as low as 30 degrees and strong winds, the RAD committee pushed through and held the event. 

“There’s a lot more people than I thought there would be given the weather,” volunteer Vanessa Roman said. “However, I wish there was more but given the fact that it’s super windy and freezing, I’m very happy with the turnout.”

The main attraction of this event is the walk along a path to multiple stations where volunteers throw colored chalk onto the patrons. Although it’s only the second year RAD has held this event, it is a popular activity.

“I think it’s a good celebration to just show the community support, love, and understanding,” RAD leader and social studies teacher Renee Fowler said. “A lot of great information and support is here for our community.”

The event is loved by the Huntley community as it brings local businesses together. Businesses and organizations such as Parents, Families, and Friends of Lesbians and Gays and Blessed Little Kitchen arrived to show their support for the LGBTQ community. Vendors gave out pins, flags, cookies, and informational pamphlets to encourage acceptance of the LGBTQ community. 

“It’s fantastic,” Blessed Little Kitchen representative Angie Stone said. “I love that all of the community comes together and all these kids get to be supported. It’s just a beautiful event.”

As the vendors and RAD committee packed up their trucks and tables, the second annual Color Run had come to a close early due to the poor weather. Despite this, the community was pulled closer that day in support of the LGBTQ community. 

“Our goal is to show students especially, that there are parents who are very supportive of their LGBTQ+ kids,” PFLAG representative Toni Weaver said. “We’re hoping to reach any parents who might need a little bit of help in coming to accept the diversity in their children. PFLAG has a mission of support, education, and advocacy.”