The privilege of blended

You walk through the halls on your blended day, strolling into the class to ask your teacher a question. You thought you would be the only one, but instead, a fourth of your class is sitting at their desks. They do not have a question like you. Instead, they are stuck in class for not meeting the grade to have blended privileges.

“I think blended classes benefit the responsible student,” senior Jeremiah Deleon said. “Some can get their work done ahead of time and then use their time to get their minds off the stress of school, but some use it just to [mess] around.”

Blended classes are a blessing for many. They allow kids to work ahead if they understand the topic, or if they need more help, they can speak one-on-one with their teacher during blended days. They can even go to the hub and work on homework from other classes.

“I like blended because I can get my homework done and not have any for the weekend,” senior Kayley Roche said.

But, some students take advantage of the system.

They come to class unprepared or do not complete their assignments outside of class, which slows down everyone. Then, the teacher has to take time out of their already limited schedule to berate students for not completing work.

“If they choose to mess around, that’s their fault,” Roche said.

Just like honors classes need recommendations, blended classes should not be available to every student. Some students just cannot handle the responsibility of learning on their own time. Of course, the school should not cut down on the students taking these classes, but they should make sure those who take them are going to put in the work.

These classes are a privilege, not a right. Blended learning is a unique part of the school, and it should be appreciated for the freedom it gives students. But, with freedom comes responsibility.