Why the Grammys suck

Joe Cristo

The Grammys proved once again that, except for Jack White and Frank Ocean’s performances, they are a waste of time.

huge  waste of time.

This year’s Best New Artist was fun. which is an insult to the American music industry as a collective whole.

I will admit that fun. had an excellent year when it comes to chart performance. Three hits, two of which were in the top ten, one of which was a number one hit.

And yet each and everyone of their songs sounds derivative, contrived and downright boring.

So it’s no wonder that pop success didn’t elude them.

Nate Ruess and his crew walked out on February 10to perform their hit, “Carry On.” The boring chord changes and sloppy rhythm section left Ruess’ vocals sounding flat and dare I say, even off-key.

Now I respect the guys from fun. I think they seem like genuinely okay dudes who want to make some money and write some catchy pop tunes. And for the most part, they have succeeded in their goals.

But what we have seen from fun. winning the Grammy for Best New Artist was basically an unwillingness by The Recording Academy to take any type of risk. They picked the clear favorite, and for that, they failed.

Because what is the point of the award for Best New Artist?

Recognition. Respect. Basically a pat on the back and the support to move forward and make some good music.

Let’s be clear right now: there isn’t anything new about fun.’s sound. But, their isn’t anything new about fun. either. Because fun. released their debut in 2009.

Meanwhile, you have the Alabama Shakes or Frank Ocean who have released their genuine debut albums to lackluster commercial success.

So what does it take to win a Grammy then?

Chart success. A popular fan base. Broad record company support.

For the most part, fun. had all of the advantages required to make a run for an award they should not have even been allowed to be nominated for (since by literal definition, they are all but “new”). So others were left in the dust.

This isn’t to take anything away from fun. They had a great year filled with mediocre tunes, loads of cash and probably roves of new fans at their shows.

But it takes away something from the spirit of music. Essentially, the Grammys become a money-making scheme meant to garner funds from advertising.

And that’s it.

Which is disheartening and disappointing.

About the writer
1 Comment

One Response to “Why the Grammys suck”

1. kristina seavers on February 25th, 2013 3:57 pm

I’m sorry Joe, but what gives you the authority to insult fun. like that? Have you won a Grammy (or any other sort of music award) recently? Nate Ruess began a career at the very bottom of the music chain and for the past 12 years has been working his way up… Finally he is getting the recognition he deserves for brilliant songwriting, and in doing so is broadening recognition to a genre that has, up until now, been overlooked by the Academy. Also, I would beg to argue that fun.’s sound is not generic: It takes inspiration from bands like Queen and Electric Light Orchestra, fusing sounds that are instantly recognizable as fun.’s work. I suppose, though, that is a matter of opinion. My problem with this article is not that you don’t like the band, but that you completely discredit their hard work and talent without a solid argument.

• Why the Grammys suck

blogs

Netflix’s “The Crown” can capture any audience

• Why the Grammys suck

Beastly book blog

Ellen DeGeneres serves as a true testament as to what a kind person can do

• Why the Grammys suck

flicks

“The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo” is sharp and insightful

• Why the Grammys suck

blogs

How real is the bachelor?

• Why the Grammys suck

Home Page

Dear Future Music Reviewer

• Why the Grammys suck

Home Page

“Will and Grace” reboot brings social and political l issues to light

• Why the Grammys suck

Home Page

Netflix presents: “On My Block”

• Why the Grammys suck

flicks

Theme of the Month: Starting Over

• Why the Grammys suck

Home Page

The Weeknd delivers disappointing album

• Why the Grammys suck

flicks

A Quiet Place

The Student News Site of Huntley High School
Why the Grammys suck