The benefits of spending time outside

By Grace Helzer, Floating Editor

The sound of birds singing beautiful melodies awakes you from your sleep. A thick and sticky humidity is felt throughout the air. The sunlight shines ever so brightly into your eyes on this beautiful summer morning. The idea of being outside is drawing you to the front door of your house. You sit outside and enjoy the warm weather, the sound of the busy birds, and the bright sunshine.  

It has been repeatedly proven that spending time outside has extreme benefits for your overall well-being.

Any form of physical activity is extremely beneficial for human beings, especially outdoor activities. 

According to betterhealth.gov, physical activity reduces the risk of developing diseases such as type 2 diabetes, cancer, and cardiovascular disease. Physical activity and exercise can have immediate and long-term health benefits.

Crazy enough, spending time outside even speeds up the healing process for the ill.

According to sharp.com, illness and surgery can be painful and frightening, which can increase stress and slow healing. However, researchers discovered that patients who spent time outdoors during their recovery required fewer painkillers, had fewer complications, and experienced shorter hospital stays.

Spending time outside is important not only for physical health but also for one’s mental health. 

Research has also further shown that participating in outdoor activities reduces anxiety, depression, and anger. Being outside improves people’s moods and increases focus. 

According to sharp.com, studies show that both adults and children who have difficulties focusing or controlling impulses are better able to concentrate after being in nature. The natural world allows our brains to take a break from all that mentally drains us, and even reduces symptoms of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

Spending time outside is extremely beneficial for stress and anxiety relief and lowers blood pressure creating a stress-free mental state. 

And if those benefits were not enough to convince you to spend some more time outside, studies have even proven that adults over 70 who spent time outdoors experienced fewer sleep difficulties, complained less about aches and pains, and enjoyed improved mobility and ability to perform daily activities. 

When speaking with sophomore Abbey Kent, various points about the benefits of being outside were brought up. 

¨For me, being outside makes me feel more productive. When I feel more productive, my whole day is impacted positively. Just going on a walk with my dog makes me feel productive and happier with my day,¨ Kent said. 

¨During summer, I think I am a lot more productive with my days and happier because I am constantly outside under the sun,¨ Kent said. 

Studies have shown that sunlight can play a factor in people’s mental and physical well-being.

According to selecthealth.org, sunlight improves sleeping patterns, reduces stress, assists in maintaining strong bones, and strengthens your immune system. 

Overall, spending time outside is good for you. When the weather is nice outside, go sit outside for even a few minutes and you will experience numerous positive impacts. Summertime creates the perfect chance for you to take advantage of the various benefits of spending time outside with friends, family, pets or even some time alone.