Girls volleyball keeps a positive mindset after a tough game against Barrington

Freshman Georgia Watson prepares to hit the ball with her teammates ready to support. (M. Pomis)

By Madeline Pomis

As the girls volleyball team breaks apart to their positions for the first set, a roar of cheers and energy fills the gym. Throughout the game, players on and off the court maintained a contagious wave of positivity that was impossible to ignore.

On Wednesday, Sept. 22, girls volleyball put up a tough fight against Barrington High School’s varsity team. Despite their 2-0 loss, the game was full of comebacks and positivity.

After a tough loss from their last game against Crystal Lake South, the girls knew they had to keep their heads up and fight.

“We knew we had a tough game going in,” coach Karen Naymola said. “It’s a matter of moving forward, evaluating, and always finding something to improve on.”

The first set began extremely close, ending 25-22 in Barrington’s favor. Huntley knew they had to keep up a strong defense in order to get a third game. Alas, Barrington ended up taking the second match 25-18.

“Even though we had a lot of great moments in that game, we definitely need to work on our mentality as a team,” junior Luma Acevedo said. “Once we get that down we’ll definitely go far.”

Despite the loss, the girls are ready to take their next game on Thursday by storm.

“We had a few bumps, but hopefully we’ll come out tomorrow and play our best,” freshman Georgia Watson said.