The new tardy system at HHS

Disrespectful students cause stricter enforcement within the building

The tardy pass that the attendance office has recently started enforcing (S. Webb)

By Samantha Webb

The attendance office at HHS has now started administering the printing of new tardy passes. To gain access into class, students have to report to the office and get a tardy pass with their correct information on it before they can leave for class. Many assume that it is to reduce the number of students that are in the hall without any sort of pass. 

This process, according to secretaries in the attendance office, is busy and hectic. Students have to sign into school, and they believe the process would be more efficient if they had a scanner system for ID’s. While students are respectful in the office, they continue to skip class and walk around without passes. Since these students are being irresponsible, the printed passes have made it easier for identification and regulation, especially considering temporary IDs have become successful for students at high school.

Most adults here at the high school are also starting to notice the disrespect from students, especially in the students who decide to skip class. Getting cussed out and given an attitude for simply asking if students have tardy passes is a common occurrence for supervisors. Enforcing punishment for this also results in disrespect. English teacher Noelle Greene supervises in the mornings during first period and sees students who just do not go to class.

“The amount of students I see regularly late and the ones I always count on being late [are who] I’m worried about reprimanding because they will continue to cuss out supervisors,” Greene said.

So, the tardy system is successful for reeling in students who decide to disrespect and weave their way around the rules here at school. However, flaws plague the tardy system and make the attendance office’s job more difficult than it has to be. Students who decide to hide amongst blended and study hall kids are being closely monitored.

“The best way we can prevent kids from skipping class is by creating bonds with students as well as keeping our supervisors interacting,”associate principal Tom Kempf said.