From beakers to behavior

Christopher Klein transitions from being a Chemistry teacher to a new dean
Klein sits at his desk in his new office in the North Pod.
S. Webb

The universe had just knocked at his door. 

Christopher Klein received a phone call from principal Marcus Belin in July, asking him if he was interested in becoming a dean in the upcoming year. Though Klein was prepared to teach Chemistry, he was more than ready to become a part of the administration.

He had always had his eyes set on this position and by earning his masters in Educational Administration, he was qualified. Klein, as soon as he heard Belin ask, knew that he had to jump at the opportunity. 

“When I look at hiring in the building, I look that it is not only a fit for us but a fit for them,” Belin said. 

Klein has only been a teacher for six years and the learning curve from teacher to dean has been a steep one. Yet, doing an internship under Belin early on, Klein was motivated and inspired by him during the job change. 

Klein’s experience as a teacher has brought him more perspective. He has learned how to approach students and how to best support their learning. According to some, he has been very considerate as a teacher. 

“He was very understanding that students had personal lives and other classes and I loved him,” senior Caroline Spear said. 

This quality, he intends to carry on into his new position. Klein has a huge passion for changing the connotation of the word dean. Considering his young age, he was eager to find ways to better the school and make HHS an even better place to learn. He hopes that through the years, he will be able to achieve these changes.  

Klein is passionate about making sure that each and every student has support and believes their needs are being met. He does not want anything to fly under the radar and for students to view him as someone they can talk to. 

I to be someone that is a part of their support team that can help them through any struggles that they’re having or any problems that they have,” Klein said. 

His want to keep raiders happy as they enter and leave the school shows through his work. He adores being able to check-in and talk with students, making them feel as though they are being the best they can be. In fact, he dislikes having to correct behavior with suspension or detention. 

While Chemistry was a great run for Klein, he has bloomed with this new transition and he intends to keep it going.

View Comments (1)
Samantha Webb
Samantha Webb, Floating Editor
Samantha Webb is a Floating Editor on The Voice. This is her 3rd year on staff. In her free time, she likes to read and paint. Also she has been a dancer at Engage Dance Academy for 15 years. She plans to go into politics after high school.

• C

Chris KleinOct 31, 2023 at 4:33 pm

Awesome job, Samantha!
    Go Red Raiders!

Reply